Wednesday, July 13, 2011

THE LOST POSTS: Untitled

For those of you who know me, you might have suspicions I am somewhat of a chauvinist. That I believe a woman's place is in the kitchen, and at home performing the duties of Chief Domestic Officer. However, while I am a traditionalist at heart, I am open to a more modern approach to home life. I never ask someone to perform a task I myself would not do. I cook like a champ, I keep a spotless house (most of the time), and I bring extra plates to the picnic.

Lately I have been considering why the concept of having someone else cook dinner is so enticing to me. What about food made by another just makes it taste so good? And I think I just had an epiphany...


I am a control freak. I like to know what's going on and when at all times. I want to influence nations and help keep people accountable to their goals. I have even claimed to rule my world with an "iron fist".

Surprisingly though, some of the best meals I have had were at the hands of others. Chefs who put together dishes at will, waiters with free range to select my tasting menu, and even friends who just want to make a good meal for someone have all put food in my stomach above and beyond any meals I have made. And I now believe I know the extra seasoning, that secret ingredient baked into each meal: reprieve.

My meals taste so much better when I let go of all the control. Having a meal prepared by someone else with no control on the preparation or input on the flavors and ingredients can be a frightening thought. Will I like it? Will it be cooked right? Will it be edible? All these concerns fly out of my head once the plate hits the table and the first bite touches my palate.

Letting someone else cook a meal shows trust. Being able to actually eat the meal earns that trust. And a full stomach at the hands of someone else makes everyone happy.

The UE

No comments: